What is friendship?

27.2.15

via
A few nights ago I re-watched The Women. Based on the hit play written by Clare Boothe Luce and the 1939 movie, this version from 2008 follows Mary Haines (Meg Ryan) as she learns her husband is cheating on her, and the reactions and support from her group of friends. This movie is fun to watch and has a great cast, great clothes plus gorgeous locations across New York and Connecticut.

The group of four friends form the strongest part of the film, and their relationship got me thinking about the friendships in my own life.

I'm closest to my friends with which I have the most in common, whether it be professional interests or the same tastes in culture. You'd like to think that friendships can and will stand the test of time, but in reality, this doesn't happen. As life moves on and new challenges appear, friendships can fizzle out and simply disappear. I think we've all experienced this situation, and how you deal with it and move on will make you stronger.

I have friends that are my own age- ones that I was in high school with or met in university. I also have friends who are a little older than me and these are perhaps my strongest friendships. They're the people that I turn to for advice, a second opinion, and importantly laughter.

For me, a real friendship is with someone who you may not see for months or even years, and you just pick up where you left off. When I catch up with my friends on the other side of the Atlantic it's just like we were hanging out yesterday.

What's evident from The Women is the different types of friendships that the characters formed at the different stages of their lives and careers. The strongest friendship is that between Mary and Sylvie (Annette Bening.) It's not forced, it's fun and even when a big disagreement separates them, they get back in touch with other. Whilst there are some friendships that I don't wish to rekindle, this dynamic has brought me the benefit of hindsight and how you can only learn through experience.

Have you seen The Women? What do you think of the friendships portrayed in the film? Has a movie made you think about the friendships in your life? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground