Two Cities: Guest Post with Kendra Thornton

6.12.13

I love to travel and hear of the experiences of others, so jumped at the chance to team up with Kendra Thornton! Kendra was the former Director of Communications for Orbitz, and here she developed her love of travel. Kendra is currently working on a project collaborating with bloggers on their favorite cities- and I was delighted to be asked!

Read on to hear all about Kendra's love for Chicago- and mine for DC!


Where to Go for Fun in Chicago

Art, culture and history combine into a truly one-of-a-kind experience when you visit the Windy City. Chicago is one of North America's most beautiful and eclectic places to visit. Whether you are looking for big-city attractions or just want to spend time at local favorite hot spots, you can find a ton of things to do here. From a local's perspective, Chicago is all about finding art and culture in little known places, and the food isn't bad either. There are so many different cuisines found here that every foodie places Chicago at the top of their destination list.

Southport Avenue in Lakeview

Chicago is known for its boutique shops and art galleries. Southport Avenue is one of the local favorites because it's an alternative to the tourist attraction known as "Magnificent Mile" on North Michigan Avenue. Southport is just a few blocks away from Wrigley Field, and you can experience a laidback feel while picking up some chic clothes. There's also the Cerato Boutique where Chicago features designs by local designers. You'll also find Krista K and Tulia on Southport Avenue. If you want a day just to explore and find unique gifts or clothing, this is the best place to spend a few hours.

Grant Park
If you are headed to Chicago, one of the must-see spots in the Windy City is Grant Park. It's home to Millennium Park, but there are also tons of other things to see like the Buckingham Fountain, Art Institute of Chicago and the Museum Campus. Many visitors and locals call this area "Chicago's Front Yard" because it exemplifies everything people love about the Windy City. You get art, culture and history all mixed into one. Besides being an iconic part of the city, it's also a great place for photo opportunities with beautiful scenery right in the heart of the city.

Finding a Place to Stay
It's all about the Chicago skyline when you are looking for top choice accommodations. Most hotels in Chicago's downtown are four-star, but you may miss out on some of the city's history if you stay in a chain. The Drake is a gorgeous hotel to stay in if you are looking to get a room with a view and explore some of Chicago's history and arts at the same time.

Chow Down in Chicago
Foodies love Chicago simply because you can find every type of cuisine, and even if you're looking for something more traditional, the restaurants are meticulous and always perfecting their flavors. One restaurant in particular that every Chicagoan loves is the South Water Kitchen located in The Loop. This diner is open throughout the door and serves an array of native Chicago favorites. This is also a family friendly dining option if you have picky eaters.



And for DC....


I’m an East Coast girl at heart, and one of my favorite cities is Washington DC. I first visited DC in 2001 on a business trip with my parents, and was fascinated by all its monuments and impressive buildings. I’ll always remember my first tour of the White House!

Fast forward to 2010- and I was an intern in the US House of Representatives. The summer I spent on the Hill was one of the best ever, and it was when I really got to know the city.

Usually when I am in DC I am on business, but that doesn’t stop me from shopping! As I’m from the UK, my first stop is to the Pentagon City Mall to stock up on my essentials! This includes a super shopping trip to J.Crew for tees, pants, glitzy jewels and shoes! I also pay a visit to Kate Spade for fun items and gifts, and always stop by Nordstrom for their great selection of clothes and any beauty essentials. I also like to pick up a souvenir or two- usually from White House Gifts right by the White House itself.

I love to head into Georgetown, stopping at Vineyard Vines for cute preppy items, and Restoration Hardware for items for the home. I also love to shop at Cusp, Sherman Pickey and J.McLaughlin- plus it’s exciting that Tory Burch is now open at Wisconsin Ave!

Refuelling is necessary after all that spending, and a discovery on my last trip was The Hamilton. Having just stepped off a plane, I was craving healthy, fresh produce and their Atlantic Salmon Salad was just what I needed. Their fresh milkshakes particularly the peanut butter are to die for!

I also love to visit Clyde’s for the great food and the buzzing atmosphere, and I really enjoyed my visit to Serendipity 3 in Georgetown last time I was in town. It’s a little different to the original in New York but still definitely a place to visit!

I always try and take in a museum or two when I’m in the city, my favorite being the National Museum of American History. It’s always a treat to visit the First Ladies dresses exhibition- and my favourites are those worn by Jacqueline Kennedy and Michelle Obama. I still love to go back to the Capitol and take a tour- even though I used to give them! And I never pass up a tour of the White House!

I have some good friends who live in Alexandria, and it’s always a treat to see them when I am in town. I love King Street and I love to visit Lucky Knot for cute accessories. I love the whole atmosphere in Alexandria, and it’s great that it is only a short Metro ride away.

For those who think Washington DC is just monuments and government, think again!

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground