|The White House|
In 2011, the Obama Administration challenged the private sector to hire or train 100,000 unemployed veterans or their spouses by the end of 2013. Last week, the First Lady announced that America's businesses had nearly tripled that goal, and have already hired or trained 290,000 veterans and military spouses. This is fantastic news!
Mrs Obama also announced that American companies have committed to hire or train another 435,000 veterans and military spouses over the next five years.
Some great examples include:
- BNSF Railroad committed to hire 5,000 veterans and military spouses in the next five years.
- UPS committed to hire 25,000 in the next five years.
- Home Depot committed to hire 55,000 in the next five years.
- McDonald’s committed to hire 100,000 in the next three years.
- Walmart committed to hiring any veteran that served honorably the year after they separate from the service.
- Deloitte will double its veteran hiring over the next three years.
- USAA pledged that 30% of its new hires will be a veteran or military spouse.
- The Blackstone Group challenged each of the 50,000 managers at its affiliated businesses to hire at least one veteran.
- AT&T committed to creating an online military talent exchange.
- The International Franchising Association has helped more than 4,300 veterans own their own business since 2011.
- The U.S Chamber of Commerce just held its 400th hiring fair since last March for veterans.
For more information on Joining Forces and how you can get involved click here.
Plus I couldn't resist sharing this great behind the scenes photo from the event!