New York City

13.4.13

Some readers may be aware that I've just returned from a short vacation to New York City. Five days of fun in the Big Apple was just what I needed!

I went with one of my closest friends who has never visited the United States before, and who was quite possibly feeling like a kid at Christmas when he stepped off the plane. It was fun to watch his facial expressions as the taxi made its journey into the city, and I'm quite sure he looked like I did when I went to NYC for the first time aged eleven.



We stayed at the amazing Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue, the pillar of luxury hotels in the city. It was my first time at the WA, and I would definitely stay there again. The luxury surroundings, sense of history and comfortable room really made our trip extra special. The location is excellent, and simply perfect for seeing the sights and shopping at all your favorite stores.


As it was my friend's first trip to the city, we indulged in many of the tourist attractions. On our first night we headed to the Top of the Rock which was fantastic. Considerably cheaper than the Empire State Building, I would very much recommend heading to the TOTR in the evening. We got to the top just as dusk was turning into night, resulting in some spectacular shaded skyline views. This was really one of the highlights. We visited the Empire State Building on our last night in the city, and despite being a scaredy-cat when it comes to heights, I felt calm and composed. Pay the extra $17 to head to the 102nd Floor, and beat the inevitable queues of tourists.



We also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and visited Wall Street (for my accountant friend he was like a kid in a candy store!) Perhaps the most poignant part of the visit was paying our respects at the 9/11 Memorial. As someone who visited the World Trade Center before that awful day, I was glad to return to the sacred ground to see the two memorial pools. The visit was peaceful, the only sound the calming echoes of water from the fountains.

We also lunched at Serendipity (essential!) and I indulged in an awful lot of shopping (hello sales at J Crew, Kate Spade and Ann Taylor!)

The best way, as always, to see the city is to walk. Yes your feet may be wrecked by the end of your visit, but you will have had the whole NYC experience (and let's face it, who enjoys being stuck on the Subway?!)

Author's Own


To check out my photos from my visit click here.

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground