Discovering DC: Silver Spring

26.4.13

This week's Discovering DC finds itself in Silver Spring with Kirstin of This Is My So Called Life. 

What's your history with Silver Spring and DC?
I've been in the DC area for almost two years now and I officially moved to Silver Spring in November 2011 when I landed my first job! But honestly, I've loved the District ever since I interned here one summer so naturally, after graduation, I knew DC is where I needed to be and I haven't left yet. And I love how close Downtown Silver Spring is to the city! For me, as a Southern gal from North Carolina, I love that I can hop in my car and drive around Silver Spring but that I'm close enough to the metro and the city that I can explore Washington with no trouble!

Discovering Silver Spring and DC- what are your favourite places to shop/eat/go with friends/people watch?
For shopping, I love thrift stores because you can always find something unique or really retro for a great price and Maryland has some great ones to choose from. My favorite is the Value Village in Silver Spring where I've found some great designer labels for a good deal but there's also a massive one in Hyattsville too! When it comes to eating and hanging out, I bounce between downtown Silver Spring and DC. Silver Spring has a quaint little downtown area with some good restaurants like Austin Grill which has a good happy deal and then Masa Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi and Nando's are pretty good for dinner! And in the District, I love hanging out with my friends in DuPont Circle, U Street and Chinatown -- they all have a really good variety of cultural restaurants so you can always true something new! Plus Silver Spring is home to The Filmore which has had a bunch of cool concerts lately!

Perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Silver Spring and DC?
The epitome of the perfect Saturday would be going thrifting at Value Village and/or at the Flee Market to find some cool, then grabbing some food at Matchbox in Chinatown (they have the best pizza) and depending on the weather, roam the streets of DC while enjoying some fro-yo or a cupcake!

Kirstin of This Is My So Called Life

For more posts in the Discovering DC archive click here. You can follow Kirstin on Twitter here. 

1 comment :

RobertNelson said...

Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Local Online Marketplace

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground